So, I was looking at some blogging prompts when this topic was mentioned. I thought it might be fun to do a post on this, so here are some different methods I use for idea generation. If you have any of your own, please feel free to share. I’d love to hear about them.
- Listening to music. This really helps to get in the right mindset to write, but it also inspires ideas from time to time.
- Meditation. Sometimes, just quieting the mind can be a huge help.
- Writing prompts. I can’t recommend these enough and they are a huge source of inspiration. A simple google serach can put hundreds of prompts in your hands.
- Taking a walk. Walks are kind of a meditation for me as well. There are so many times where something was going on that really upset me and going out for a walk was a great way to burn it all off, but it also allows you time alone to work over existing ideas and see how you can add in those twists and turns.
- Talk it out. Going over a vauge thought with CP has done wonders for generating ideas. Sometimes a fellow writer or a good friend can help you get past a block.
- RPGs. My time in a Buffy the Vampire Slayer role play game actually led to my first book, The Life and Times of No One in Particular. Writing some fan fiction or acting out an impromtu story in real time is one of the best writing exercises there is. By playing in a world that already exists, you get a launch pad to creating original stories in that world that can evolve into creating your own unique universe.
I hope that if your stuck, these methods will help your idea generation out. There’s nothing like using that creative energy, and I hope you’ll share your experiences with trying these out.